FST alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Serialization" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of FST or a related project?
- up to 10 times faster 100% JDK Serialization compatible drop-in replacement (Ok, might be 99% ..). As an example: Lambda Serialization which came with 1.8 worked instantly.
- Android compatible since version >= 2.17 (use
FSTConfiguration.createAndroidDefaultConfiguration()both on server and client side. The configuration object has to be passed into FSTObjectIn/Output constructors)
- OffHeap Maps, Persistent OffHeap maps
- FSTStructs is very similar to IBM's packed objects. Difference is: You can run it with Oracle JDK today.
- optionally en/decode any Serializable object graph to JSON (incl. shared references) (since 2.29) for interop
- Apache 2.0 license since 2.17
Struct Emulation (currently not covered by tests)
note: maven.org might lag 1 day behind after releasing.
<dependency> <groupId>de.ruedigermoeller</groupId> <artifactId>fst</artifactId> <version>2.56</version> </dependency>
jdk1.6 compatible build of fst 2.x
<dependency> <groupId>de.ruedigermoeller</groupId> <artifactId>fst</artifactId> <version>2.48-jdk-6</version> </dependency>
1.x version (different package name, 1.6 compatible ..). Fixes are not backported anymore, unsupported.
<dependency> <groupId>de.ruedigermoeller</groupId> <artifactId>fst</artifactId> <version>1.63</version> </dependency>
Who uses FST ?
I am not actively tracking use, maven.org reports more than 14000 downloads from 6000 distinct IP accesses triggered by maven builds world wide per month.
- used in production in Eurex Exchange's trading back end's middleware
- JUptr.io's distributed system / NLP engine uses FST
- Popular Apache Wicket supplementals use FST to speed up Wicket
how to build
- master contains dev branch/trunk.
- 1.x contains old version
- The maven build should work out of the box and reproduces the artifact hosted on maven.org
- To use the gradle build, you need to configure the proxy server in settings.properties (or just set empty if you do not sit behind a proxy).
Note that instrumentation done for fst-structs works only if debug info is turned on during compile. Reason is that generating methods at runtime with javassist fails (probably a javassist bug ..). This does not affect the serialization implementation.
JDK 1.6 Build 1.x build since v1.62 are still jdk 6 compatible
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the FST README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.