Orson-Charts alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Science" category.
Alternatively, view Orson-Charts alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
A JavaFX library containing tiles that can be used for dashboards.
5.6 8.7 Orson-Charts VS BioJava:book::microscope::coffee: BioJava is an open-source project dedicated to providing a Java library for processing biological data.
A JavaFX library for Gauges
3.9 7.7 Orson-Charts VS ChartFxA scientific charting library focused on performance optimised real-time data visualisation at 25 Hz update rates for data sets with a few 10 thousand up to 5 million data points.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Orson-Charts or a related project?
(C)opyright 2013-2020, by Object Refinery Limited. All rights reserved.
Version 2.0, 15 March 2020.
Orson Charts is a 3D chart library for the Java(tm) platform that can generate a wide variety of 3D charts for use in client-side applications (JavaFX and Swing) and server-side applications (with export to PDF, SVG, PNG and JPEG).
Key features include:
- multiple chart types: pie charts, bar charts (regular and stacked), line charts, area charts, scatter charts and surface plots;
- mouse-enabled chart viewers in JavaFX and Swing provide 360 degree rotation and zooming for precise end-user view control;
- configurable tool tip support;
- interactive charts (mouse event support on all chart elements);
- flexible data sources;
- JSON format data import and export;
- regular and logarithmic axis scales;
- auto-adaptive axis labeling;
- value and range marker annotations
- support for PDF, SVG, PNG and JPG export of charts for reporting;
- a clean and well-documented API with a high degree of chart configurability.
Orson Charts is very easy to use, and includes comprehensive Javadocs. It is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 or later. For companies that do not wish to be bound by the terms of the GPLv3, a commercial license can be purchased from Object Refinery Limited. The license permits royalty-free redistribution of the Orson Charts runtime jar file. Orson Charts requires JDK/JRE 11 or later. To use Orson Charts with JavaFX requires the Orson Charts FX extension project.
The Javadoc generated documentation is the principal source of documentation for Orson Charts:
If there are topics that are not covered or not clear in the documentation, please let us know so that we can improve the coverage.
Demo applications can be found in the following projects at GitHub:
You can build Orson Charts using Maven by issuing the following command from the root directory of the project:
mvn clean install
The build requires JDK 11 or later.
If you find a bug in Orson Charts, please file a bug report at:
You can find out more about Orson Charts at:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send a mail to [email protected].
Version 2.1 : not-yet-released
- upgrade JUnit to version 5.
Version 2.0 : 15-Mar-2020
- created a Java module (
- refactored into
- fixed bug #4 in
NumberAxis3Dwhere tick label override is not applied.
Version 1.7 : 17-Nov-2017
- removed JavaFX support to a separate project Orson Charts FX;
- fixed cell content bug in
- fixed bug in
- protect from
- streamline build by removing Ant build support and moving demo code to external projects.
Version 1.6 : 2-Nov-2016
XYZSeriesand added change notification mechanism;
XYZSeriesCollectionand added change notification;
- added generics to source files;
FXGraphics2Dto version 1.5;
JFreeSVGto version 3.2.
Version 1.5 : 28-Jan-2016
- added new
- added option to invert axes;
- fix exception when setting a new dataset using
- fix direction of mouse wheel zooming in JavaFX;
- included FXGraphics2D version 1.3 as a dependency;
- updated OrsonPDF to version 1.7;
- updated JFreeSVG to version 3.0;
pom.xmlfor Maven builds;
- JavaFX demos brought up to match the Swing demos;
- various Javadoc improvements.
Version 1.4 : 27-May-2014
- added JavaFX support;
- added support to marker elements and item labels for
AbstractValueAxis3D(this fixes a bug for plots where the length of the data range is zero, for example scatter plots with a single value);
- fixed endless loop in axis range code for datasets with infinite values;
- fixed bug in hinting for tick labels on
Utils.jsfunctions that didn't work with Internet Explorer 9.
Version 1.3 : 11-Apr-2014
- added chart mouse event and tooltip support for the chart viewer in Swing;
- added item label support;
JSONformat data import and export;
- new utility methods to extract an
- fixed a clipping issue for panels with borders assigned;
- added rendering hints for SVG output via JFreeSVG (to support tool-tips and mouse events on chart elements);
Version 1.2 : 7-Mar-2014
- added value and range markers for numerical axes, and category markers for category axes;
- added a
tickLabelOrientationattribute for axes so that tick labels can be drawn either perpendicular or parallel to the axis line;
- added a logarithmic axis;
- added theme support, with several built-in themes;
- added template driven label generators for pie section labels and category axis labels;
- added export to
JPEG, plus options to configure the available export types;
- optimized the rendering code to reduce memory usage;
- put in place a localisation mechanism, and added German and Italian translations;
- made the projection distance configurable in the chart viewer;
- added series accessors for
- fixed an issue with the
StackedBarRendererand negative values;
- incorporated various other bug fixes.
Version 1.1 : 23-Dec-2013
- added surface plots (via the new
ColorScaleand supporting classes for use by the surface charts;
- added orientation attribute to control the chart legend orientation;
- optimized rendering code for improved performance;
- added missing change events for gridline attributes in
- added constants including
Version 1.0 : 17-Nov-2013
This is the first public release of Orson Charts, we welcome your feedback and suggestions.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Orson-Charts README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.