Speedment accelerates your development speed and makes programming so easy and fun!
When you use Speedment for database querying, you do not have to learn a new APIs or use complex ORMs. Everything is standard Java 8 and works out of the box!
This site covers the Speedment Open Source project available under the Apache 2 license. If you are interested in the enterprise product with support for commercial databases and in-memory acceleration, check out www.speedment.com!
Speedment alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Database" category.
Alternatively, view Speedment alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
9.6 9.8 L2 Speedment VS PrestoThe official home of the Presto distributed SQL query engine for big data
8.4 9.3 L1 Speedment VS orientdbOrientDB is the most versatile DBMS supporting Graph, Document, Reactive, Full-Text and Geospatial models in one Multi-Model product. OrientDB can run distributed (Multi-Master), supports SQL, ACID Transactions, Full-Text indexing and Reactive Queries.
8.0 9.8 L3 Speedment VS CrateCrateDB is a distributed and scalable SQL database for storing and analyzing massive amounts of data in near real-time, even with complex queries. It is PostgreSQL-compatible, and based on Lucene.
Java and Android Database - fast and lightweight without any ORM
7.5 6.8 L2 Speedment VS Chronicle MapReplicate your Key Value Store across your network, with consistency, persistance and performance.
7.5 0.0 L2 Speedment VS requeryrequery - modern SQL based query & persistence for Java / Kotlin / Android
6.9 0.0 L4 Speedment VS JDBIjdbi is designed to provide convenient tabular data access in Java; including templated SQL, parameterized and strongly typed queries, and Streams integration
5.8 0.0 Speedment VS XodusTransactional schema-less embedded database used by JetBrains YouTrack and JetBrains Hub.
5.8 0.0 Speedment VS JetBrains XodusTransactional schema-less embedded database used by JetBrains YouTrack and JetBrains Hub.
4.1 0.0 L3 Speedment VS Eventsourcing for JavaEvent capture and querying framework for Java
2.7 0.0 L4 Speedment VS Vibur DBCPVibur DBCP - concurrent and dynamic JDBC connection pool
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Speedment or a related project?
Java Stream ORM
Speedment is an open source Java Stream ORM toolkit and runtime. The toolkit analyzes the metadata of an existing SQL database and automatically creates a Java representation of the data model. This powerful ORM enables you to create scalable and efficient Java applications using standard Java streams with no need to type SQL or use any new API.
Speedment was originally developed by researchers and engineers based in Palo Alto with the purpose to simplify and streamline the development of Java database applications by leveraging the Java Stream API.
Speedment is licensed under the business-friendly Apache 2 license. Contribution from users is encouraged. Please feel free to request new features, suggest improvements and file bug reports. Read more about contributing here.
Assuming you have Maven installed and a relational database available, you can start using Speedment in a minute:
Expressing SQL as Java Streams
There is a remarkable resemblance between Java streams and SQL as summarized in the simplified table. This means there is no need for manually writing SQL-queries any more. You can remain in a pure Java world!
Search in a film database for a film with a length greater than 120 minutes:
// Searches are optimized in the background! Optional<Film> longFilm = films.stream() .filter(Film.LENGTH.greaterThan(120)) .findAny();
Results in the following SQL query:
SELECT `film_id`,`title`,`description`,`release_year`, `language_id`,`original_language_id`,`rental_duration`,`rental_rate`, `length`,`replacement_cost`,`rating`,`special_features`, `last_update` FROM `sakila`.`film` WHERE (`length` > 120)
Speedment is equipped with the features listed below and more.
View Database Tables as Standard Java Streams
- Pure Java - Stream API instead of SQL eliminates the need of a query language
- Dynamic Joins - Ability to perform joins as Java streams on the application side
- Parallel Streams - Workload can automatically be divided over several threads
Short and Concise Type Safe Code
- Code Generation - Automatic Java representation of the latest state of your database eliminates boilerplate code and the need of manually writing Java Entity classes while minimizing the risk for bugs.
- Null Protection - Minimizes the risk involved with database null values by wrapping to Java Optionals
- Enum Integration - Mapping of String columns to Java Enums increases memory efficiency and type safety
Lazy Evaluation for Increased Performance
- Streams are Lazy - Content from the database is pulled as elements are needed and consumed
- Pipeline Introspection - Optimized performance by short circuiting of stream operations
The tutorials are divided into three sections. The basics are covered in the first section without any expected prior knowledge of Speedment. This builds a foundation of knowledge needed to fully benefit from the following tutorials.
- Tutorial 3 - Speedment Spring Boot Integration; REST assured - it is easy
- Tutorial 4 - Speedment filters based on Json Web Tokens
- Tutorial 5 - Log errors in a database
- Tutorial 6 - Use Speedment with Java EE
- Tutorial 7 - Create Event Sourced Systems
- Tutorial 8 - Writing Your Own Extensions
- Documentation - Read the Speedment User Guide.
- JavaDocs - Latest Speedment JavaDocs.
- Examples - There are 15 detailed examples here and more can be found in the User Guide provided above.
- Gitter Chatroom - Reach out to the Speedment developers and other community members via the Gitter chatroom.
- Creating a Pull Request - Pull requests and improvement suggestions from the community are gladly accepted. Find more information here.
Java 8 or later. Make sure your IDE is configured to use JDK 8 (version 1.8.0_40 or newer).
Speedment Open Source comes with support for the following databases out-of-the-box:
Enterprise database connectors include:
- SQL Server
For more information, see Speedment Licensing and Pricing.
- Speedment Open Source - This site covers the Speedment Open Source project available under the Apache 2 license.
- Speedment Stream - The same great features as Speedment OSS with support for commercial databases. Learn more at speedment.com/stream.
- Speedment HyperStream - An extension av Speedment Stream which also includes hypersonic query performance enabled by a unique in-JVM-memory management model. Learn more at speedment.com/hyperStream.
Copyright (c) 2014-2019, Speedment, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Visit www.speedment.com for more info.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Speedment README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.