iText alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "PDF" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of iText or a related project?
PLEASE NOTE: iText 5 is EOL, and has been replaced by iText 7. Only security fixes will be added
We HIGHLY recommend customers use iText 7 for new projects, and to consider moving existing projects from iText 5 to iText 7 to benefit from the many improvements such as:
- HTML to PDF (PDF/UA) conversion
- PDF Redaction
- SVG support
- Better language support: Indic, Thai, Khmer, Arabic, Hebrew. (Close-source addon)
- PDF Debugging for your IDE
- Data Extraction
- Better continued support and bugfixes
- More modular, extensible handling of your document workflow
- Extra practical add-ons
- Encryption, hashing & digital signatures
iText 5 consists of several jars.
The main release contains:
itextpdf-x.y.z.jar: the core library
itext-xtra-x.y.z.jar: extra functionality (PDF 2!)
itext-pdfa-x.y.z.jar: PDF/A-related functionality
xmlworker-x.y.z.jar: XML (and HTML) functionality
iText 5 is hosted on https://github.com/itext/itextpdf
You can find the latest releases here:
You can also [build iText 5 from source][building].
We also have RUPS — a tool that can help you debug PDFs. It's hosted on http://github.com/itext/rups
If you have an idea on how to improve iText 5 and you want to submit code, please read our [Contribution Guidelines][contributing].
iText is licensed as [AGPL][agpl] software.
AGPL is a free / open source software license.
This doesn't mean the software is gratis!
Buying a license is mandatory as soon as you develop commercial activities distributing the iText software inside your product or deploying it on a network without disclosing the source code of your own applications under the AGPL license. These activities include:
- offering paid services to customers as an ASP
- serving PDFs on the fly in the cloud or in a web application
- shipping iText with a closed source product
Contact sales for more info: http://itextpdf.com/sales
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the iText README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.