The mapsforge project provides free and open software for the rendering of maps based on OpenStreetMap data. Currently, we offer a library for ad-hoc map rendering on Android devices and in Java stand-alone applications.
Mapsforge alternatives and similar libraries
Based on the "Geospatial" category.
Alternatively, view Mapsforge alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
8.5 0.0 L2 Mapsforge VS GraphHopperOpen source routing engine for OpenStreetMap. Use it as Java library or standalone web server.
7.0 0.0 Mapsforge VS JTS Topology SuiteThe JTS Topology Suite is a Java library for creating and manipulating vector geometry.
3.1 0.0 L2 Mapsforge VS Apache SISJava language library for developing geospatial applications following OGC/ISO standards.
2.7 8.8 L4 Mapsforge VS Geotoolkit.orgGeotoolkit.org (abridged Geotk) is a free software, Java language library for developing geospatial applications. The library can be used for desktop or server applications. Geotk is built on top of Apache SIS and is used as a laboratory for the later.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Mapsforge or a related project?
See the [integration guide](docs/Integration.md) and [changelog](docs/Changelog.md). And read through [how to contribute](docs/CONTRIBUTING.md) guidelines.
If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask the Discussions for help.
- Mapsforge project uses a [compact file format](docs/Specification-Binary-Map-File.md) for fast ad-hoc rendering of OpenStreetMap data.
- We provide tools to [compile your own maps](docs/Getting-Started-Map-Writer.md) with detailed [instructions](docs/MapCreation.md) and also precompiled maps.
- It provides [simple boilerplate code](mapsforge-samples-android/src/main/java/org/mapsforge/samples/android/GettingStarted.java) to build applications for Android that display OpenStreetMap-based maps.
- It provides a library to build standalone applications in Java ([instructions](docs/Desktop.md)).
- Mapsforge maps can be flexibly styled with XML style files ([render themes](docs/Rendertheme.md)).
- We provide [tools & library](docs/POI.md) for POI search and also precompiled POI.
- Mapsforge supports Android 2.3.3 (API level 10) and above.
- Mapsforge is used by many [applications](docs/Mapsforge-Applications.md).
- Mapsforge is in active [development](docs/Contributors.md).
- Mapsforge [map providers](docs/Mapsforge-Maps.md).
- Mapsforge [talks](docs/Mapsforge-Talks.md).
- Building Mapsforge: set
ANDROID_HOMEenvironment variable with the Android SDK installation directory
Mapsforge library is under LGPL v3 license, with an important simplification: the constraints mentioned in sections LGPL v3 §4(d) and §4(e) are waived.
This means that you are allowed to convey a Combined Work without providing the user any way to recombine or relink the application and without providing any shared library mechanism.
In other words, you are allowed to include Mapsforge library in your Android application, without making your application open source.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Mapsforge README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.